Do Your Taxes Online with MyFreeTaxes

No one loves filing taxes, right? But this year, it’s easier than ever if you use With MyFreeTaxes, filing your return is free! That means you can file your federal and state returns without spending any money on tax preparation fees. So far, MyFreeTaxes has helped 1.3 million people save $260 million in tax filing fees. The secure software walks you through the filing process and screens for common tax deductions and credits you may be eligible for, like the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child Tax Credit. You can also use MyFreeTaxes to claim missed stimulus payments. That’s part of our effort to make sure you get back every penny possible. If you need help, call the helpline to talk to a real person trained by the IRS. MyFreeTaxes’ Helpline is open from 9 am – 9 pm daily to clarify things like filing status. Just call 1-866-698-9435. Other tax situations covered in MyFreeTaxes include:
  • W-2 income
  • Schedule C Self Employment
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Student education expenses, credits, or student loan interest
  • Unemployment income
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Child tax credits
  • Child and dependent care expenses
MyFreeTaxes is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere.  

Want to do Your Taxes Locally?

The VITA Program provides free tax preparation services for taxpayers in Dodge County at the Mantorville Senior Center. Volunteers who are IRS-certified will be able to prepare taxes for you. This program allows you to create an appointment and drop off your tax filing information to be prepared and filed by a volunteer. This is a free service available to Dodge county residents who meet the eligibility requirements. You are NOT eligible for this program if:
  • If your income in 2020 was more than $69,000
  • If you have a small business with: expenses of more than $35,000 or a net loss, employees, inventory, and/or home office
  • You operate a daycare business in your home, have farm income, and/or have rental income
  • If you have out of state income; exception: IA, WI, and states with no state income tax
  • If you have military income (excluding a military pension)
  • If you have to file Form 1040-NR as a nonresident alien (including anyone with an F, J, M or Q visa) unless you are married to a U.S. citizen
  • If you declared bankruptcy during the tax year
  • If you had cancellation of debt other than (s) cancellation of nonbusiness credit card debt or (b) cancellation or forgiveness of debt on their principal residence during the tax year
  • If you had rental income (including income from land rental)
  • If you had K-1 income for other than interest, dividends, net short- and long-term capital gains and losses, and royalty income
The above is a list of the most common out-of-scope items, but it is not necessarily exhaustive. Please call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment or click here to schedule one online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *